Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holidays and outcomes...

Well I haven't written in a little over a week and it isn't because of failure.  It is because the Thanksgiving holiday was upon us and that time is more about family and spending quality time together.  For my family, it meant traveling from Pennsylvania to Michigan to spend time with loved ones we don't see often enough.  It was great to not be in front of the computer every day... and even better not thinking at all about work, school and the diet!  

Yes I said not thinking about the diet.  I intended on tracking what I was eating, taking daily walks with my oldest daughter and not giving into the holiday temptations (pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, stuffing and loads of mashed potatoes).  What I intended and what actually occurred, well let's just say they didn't necessarily meet in the middle!  The first thing that I failed at was tracking the food that I ate.  We left Wednesday evening and that was the last time I entered anything into my Lose It! app.  Now I don't want you to think that I was shrugging off my responsibility to my diet... it's just that I thought that I could do this eating thing without tracking for a few days.  Besides that, I wasn't the one cooking so I didn't know how many calories the food would be!  I know mashed potatoes are just mashed potatoes, but I needed to know butter amounts, what type of milk used, etc. in order to correctly calculate out the calories.  And trust me, I wasn't asking all those questions while a family member was cooking dinner and playing hostess to close to 30 people.  So I winged it... ate what I thought would be smaller portions; ate those things that I thought would be less in calories; and I didn't go back for seconds, instead I was happy with what I ate the first go round.  

So my second fail was believing that I would actually exercise while I was in Michigan.  I told my oldest daughter that I wanted to walk at least 2 days of the 4 that we were there.  Ummmm... yeah that didn't materialize.  I did have feelings of guilt because all it would have taken was a 2 mile walk to achieve the feeling that I was going for.  But honestly, I kept thinking that the reason why we were in Michigan was for family.  I know a 2 mile walk wouldn't have been hours upon hours away from them, but it was still time away from them that I didn't want to give up.  We don't see these family members daily or even monthly, so our time with them is precious.  Not giving up time with them meant that I had to be OK with not exercising.  Definitely something that I could live with!

The third fail for me was the holiday temptations.  I LOVE PUMPKIN PIE!  I LOVE STUFFING!  I LOVE CHOCOLATE PIE!  And then to top it off, there was cheesecake!  Oh My Goodness... all the temptations and I didn't want to give in to eating them and I didn't want to give in to not eating them.  So I compromised.  I had a small serving of stuffing and skipped the bigger portion of mashed potatoes that I would have loved to have had.  I did eat a dessert, but skipped the pumpkin pie.  Instead I opted for a fruit based pie and only ate a small slice.  Now we had another family dinner on Saturday and again the temptations of pie were there, and I had a little slice of the chocolate pie and a sliver of cheesecake (trust me before I would have eaten 2 large pieces of each and probably went back for seconds).  It felt good to eat those things.  I think if I would have skipped them on Thanksgiving, it would have made it worse at the family dinner on Saturday.  Yes I ate pie and I am proud of it!

So how did i fail... I gained 1 pound for the week.  Yes it is a gain, and yes that is not the objective.  But I think of it as a win and not a fail.  You see, people gain on average of 5 pounds over the Thanksgiving holiday.  Also, I know that in the past that I have stuffed myself to the point of being sick just because things "tasted good".  I never felt stuffed and never felt that I deprived myself.  I felt satisfies with how things went and what I ate.  Yes I gained a pound... but that's a win for me and at this point in the game, I will take it!  

Oh by the way... I do feel a little bit more prepared for the Christmas holiday.  Hoping for another win for me then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment